Monday, January 14, 2013

Food for the Soul - Part 2, Counting Our Blessings


I woke up this morning thinking about how thankful I was to see another day. One tends to be more thankful for each day as one grows older or when experiencing illness. After giving thanks for the day I sat up on the side of my bed and wiggled my toes. Listened to the birds sing for a bit and began moving about the room. I thought to myself…how many blessing have I already received today. How abundantly God gives to us and asks little in return. So I sat down for a moment and began counting my blessings -

1.       The Lord has given me another day today

2.       I am able to thank the Lord for today

3.       I had a good night’s sleep

4.       I am alive today

5.       I opened my eyes today

6.       I took in a breath with no problems today

7.       I feel no pain today

8.       I am able to move my arms and legs today

9.       I have no problems sitting up today

10.   I can hear the birds sing today

11.   I can stand up and my knees don’t pop today

13.   My son is laughing in the other room today

14.   I am a Mom today

15.   My little dog Ginger is happy and eager to go outside today

16.   Our home is safe today

17.   My home is clean and comfortable today

18.   We have plenty to eat today

19.   I can walk today

20.   I have hope today

21.   I can pray freely and without persecution today

22.   I am thankful for so many things today

23.   I have a clear mind today

24.   I have clean drinking water today

25.   I feel joy today

27.   I am at peace today

28.   I got a hug from son today

29.   I am free today

30.   I can love today

31.   I feel loved today…

And those are the blessings that I counted within the first few minutes of the day. Imagine what it would be like to continue counting blessings throughout the entire day.

How could you get mad at that worrisome co-worker if you are counting blessing?

How can you argue with your husband if you are counting your blessings?

How can you yell at your children if you are counting your blessings?

How can you feel tired and drained if you are counting your blessings?

How can you experience road rage if you are counting your blessings?

How can you keep the extra change that the lady behind the checkout gave you by accident if you are counting your blessings?

Don’t you see? If you spend your time counting your blessing and giving thanks for that which you have been blessed with, you wouldn’t have time for anything negative. You would not complain nearly as much. You would not be anxious. You would not be depressed. You would not be in a constant rush. You would not be easily angered. You could not hold a grudge from yesterday. However, you would be more at peace, focusing on the good things in your life. Good things both great and small.

Wonder what it would be like to count blessings while thinking about how to utilize the fruits of the spirit, becoming a blessing to someone else. Wouldn’t that be an awesome thing to strive for everyday? How many countless ways can we use the fruits that God has given us? What are the fruits you ask?

Fruits of the spirit

Love

Joy

Peace

Longsuffering

Kindness

Goodness

Faithfulness

Gentleness

Self-Control


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,


(for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),

When you wake up tomorrow morning, start your day by give thanks for the day and then begin counting your blessings. As you move about the day seeking all help and guidance from the Lord, ask Him to help you utilize your spiritual fruits that you may be a blessing to others.

I hope you have enjoyed this food for thought as we continue to feed our spirits with the words and ways of God.

Feel free to share ways that you use your spiritual fruits to bless others.

Be encouraged and keep your eyes on the prize.

No comments: